Tuesday 18 June 2013

Cracking Bit of Fashion...Balenciaga Fall 2013


“It’s a prologue,” said Alexander Wang of his quietly respectful debut collection for Balenciaga. “It was about really going back to the house, to the archive, and the codes that were so true to Cristóbal Balenciaga—with dynamic new materials.”
My first thought when I saw this catwalk show online..OMG what an amazing floor, CAN I GET THAT MUM? Through the pristine white of the runway floor is jagged lines of black jutting out in every direction. It looks like an earthquake has just hit the room.  

I'm going to come straight out and say it...I am CRUSHIN' on Balenciaga's Fall collection so SO bad. Although I am loving the sunshine at the moment I can't deny I want Autumn to get a wriggle on... so that Selfridges can start stocking some of these beauties, for me to drool over. Debuted at Paris Fashion Week in February 2013 this was Alexander Wang's (below, the cutie) first collection for the Spanish fashion house. After viewing the collection, many fashion critics has praised him for his use of the trademark rigid angular design, of the brand's founder, while still managing to apply innovative, pattern and detailing to each piece.

My favourite from this range is the 'cracked' effect tops which, although they look like they are made from cracked leather material, they are actually a skinny ribbed knits were submerged in gesso paint, covering the surface and forming interesting craquelure effect (like you would get on an oil painting). The collection is indeed very sculptural as even cropped tops seem to be crafted so that they ballon (like founder Cristóbal Balenciaga's classic bubble skirts) away from the torso, remaining rigid as the female moves; the resulting silhouette created is therefore very masculine and bold. 


If (like me) you have fallen under the charm of this collection - it's beauty, it's innovation - yet aren't too keen on the steep pricing then I would suggest looking to high street stores such as Mango, French Connection and Zara, who already have a wide selection of clothes for the suprising S/S13 trend of Monochrome. 

Here is a selection of my favourite pieces from Balenciaga's Fall 2013 collection:

All pictures are taken kindly from Vogue online. Comments are always welcome! 











Your thoughts on the collection? Comment below! Hope you loved it as much as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment